Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POST glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebootd

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
US
This is an older computer with PII 133 MHz, AMIBIOS, WD hard drive, Win98, no special cards at all just a modem, built by someone in some now-defunct local computer shop...this is what it does.
Upon bootup, runs through:
Checking NVRAM...update OK!
163840KB OK (scrolls through)
then:
WAIT
then I hear two loud clicks, then 1 beep (sometimes 2 but not usually), then:

KR632 Pentium II AGP/PCI System BIOS REV:AO3 1/16/98
Pentium II - 133 MHz

Pri Master: 14.10R11 WDC AC23200L
Ultra DMA Mode -2,
S.M.A.R.T. Capable but Command Failed.
Pri Slave: 1.28 CRD-8320B

Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed
Press F1 to Resume

after pressing F1, it boots fine, computer works no problems at all. So my question is, how do I get box to just boot normally without this? I can't find any reference to it in the BIOS. I tried wiping the CMOS, which didn't help, so I am guessing this is accessed during the POST...anyone have any knowledge of this? I
appreciate anyone's help at all, Thanks in advance.

Are you sure there is no switch in BIOS Setup to disable S.M.A.R.T. monitoring? It must be there (at least I had never seen a SMART-check-capable mainboard without an ability to disable it). ----
Wbr, Alex
: ZAR - FAT16/32 data recovery tool.

Yes I am sure...I have gone thru the BIOS line by line, over and over searching for it, looking for anything referring to monitoring at all....I am wondering if there must be another place the boot process "sees" the S.M.A.R.T. option? I am not a programmer..is it possible this option is hard-coded somehow into the WD drive itself?

No, definitely on the M/B. But should have a CMOS choice to disable it. Guess there is always the possibility that the wrong BIOS was installed on the M/B. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back