Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possibly Best (or One of Best) Media Players for Drupal 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
Just thought I'd share some of my searching/testing results thus far on using Media within Drupal 7, specifically.

The combination of the Media and MediaFront modules for Drupal 7 is a great idea, but I keep running into issues when trying to use them - hopefully the issue will be corrected in the near future.

The problem with that setup is that you cannot upload anything other than images, even though it's supposed to support practically any kind of file. If this ever gets sorted out, or else I figure out how to fix it myself (I think it'd be a simple text edit in one of the various files (php) or maybe it's a database entry), then I'll try using it more, b/c of the playlist options and such that it has.

For now, however, I've found what looks to be a great alternative (If I can only find how to get it to point to files already on the server, instead of having to upload a file for every single use, each time.

This solution is using MediaElement.js. The main site is The module can be found at It's a great little setup. You simple install the module, enable it, and tell it to be used site-wide. Then you add a file field to any content type where you want to use it, and select the display widget to MediaElement... basically. Then, for each node, you simply upload your file(s). Then after saving, each audio file shows as a nice simple player. Works for video as well, but I've only used for audio, personally, so far in testing.

I hope that eventually the Media module (or whichever is the real root cause of the filetype issues) is corrected, and that I can then use that for the MediaElement and/or the MediaFront modules.

The MediaFront module really REALLY looks like a winner when you look at all the possible options, but I cannot get it to work just yet.

The whole Drupal 7 area is still pretty new, I suppose, so hopefully in the next 6 months to a year, some minor issues like the one I've been wrestling with will be resolved.

In the meantime, the MediaEelemnt module seems like the best choice if you don't want to have to get into the nitty gritty details for every single file, as far as coding everything. With this module, you just put the file in the node, and the player is there, no coding on your part necessary.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

An update to this. Last night, I was piddling with all of this again, and wound up getting the Media and Media Front combination to work correctly!

It has to do (currently) with when you set up the file associations in a certain location - don't recall whether it was setting up the field or the mediafront preset or what...

But once I did that, I was able to use the Media File Selector anywhere I wanted without issue! Yippee!

If I ever get it 100% sorted out, as far as being able to say with surety, step by step, this is how to do this or that within this subject matter, I'll try and remember to post back here with those steps. And... I might do that soon, so I'll know what to do for sure the next time. The video tutorials, and step-by-step instructions, for me, were not working... I just went at it this last time, and fixed it.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back