Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possibly a problem with power cables in case 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakkarotto

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
I bought a Zorra ATX case a while ago. It worked fine for a while with a P3 450Mhz (socket 1) CPU but after upgrading to a P3 733 Mhz (Socket A) CPU it has failed to work.
As soon as I plug the power cable in it starts the fans turning and the CD lights start flashing and there is a 1 second long beep every 2 or 3 seconds constantly. The monitor doesn't receive any signals and the power button doesn't do anything.
I have reseated the CPU and heatsink, Reset the bios and changed the PSU and nothing has worked. I have also tried the graphics card in a different machine and it worked.
I have checked to see if there is only one designed for XP users.
Please help.

Continuous long beeps usually indicate either a memory related problem (try re-seating your memory) or BIOS corruption (try resetting your CMOS -- usually a motherboard jumper).

Have you checked the manufacturers website for beep codes? If you can find out which type of BIOS you have you can run a search on the internet for BIOS beep codes and it will tell you what it means.

Shannan

Hola,

first off I don't recall that Intel ever made a SOCKET A processor, do you mean a Socket 370 (looks like a Socket A) with an adapter card? have you checked FSB jumpering? did you clear CMOS after changing the CPU?

if I recall correctly, most SLOT 1 mobo had either FSB jumpering or AUTO detect, and if you used a Socket 370 processor with an adapter, the adapter had to be jumpered correctly in order for the mobo to correctly detect the CPU...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Ben,
Not sure what you mean by using an adaptor with the CPU! I could be wrong about the socket type, it's a ZIF slot! I know that much.
I do remember clearing the CMOS but I've tried changing the CPU a few times so not sure if I did it after the latest change.
As for the FSB jumpering, those would be jumoers on the mobo itself I presume, so I would need the manual to know what to set the jumpers to, am I correct?
Thanks for the info
Robin

Hi there,

in order to use a FPGA Socket 370 CPU (looks like a cracker/cookie) in a Slot 1 (looks like a large Cigarettebox/cigarbox with a fan) you need an adapter such as the MSI-6905...

but if you don't know this then mostlikely you don't have it and is/are using the correct CPU??? (assumption)...

FSB jumpers can be on the Mobo, or are Auto configured by the BIOS (thus needing to clear the CMOS)...

but rereading your original Post, it could very well be that the MoBo doesn't allow you to use the newer CPU and thus will not function... more info as to what type of mobo you are using and then going to the Manufacturers website can be very helpful here... the case at this point is irrelevant or no use at all...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back