Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible VPN IP conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

exactiv

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2003
IE
Hi there,

Any help, or advice anyone can give me with this would be very much appreciated.

My company's LAN is on a range of 172.17.10.0/24
We have over 450 clients which we now need to create IPSEC VPN tunnels to. We don't need to VPN to the whole client LAN, just to a Linux server inside their LAN.
We will probably install a Cisco ASA 5520 to enable us to create all of these tunnels.

My question is this:
Example, If Client A has an internal IP range of 172.17.10.0/24 (which is the same as our LAN IP range), and we try to create an IPSEC VPN Tunnel to them, I presume we will get IP confilts and it will not work.

So, to resolve this, I am proposing that we put an additional network card in the client server, assign it a 192.1.1.0/24 address, and VPN to that.

1) Is my presumption of the conflict correct?
2) Would my proposed solution work?
3) Is there another option available to me (such as some kind of NAT)?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

your VPN should be going to a VPN device in their network that is translating a NAT address for their internal server. your VPN will not directly connect to that internal IP, nor will your internal clients. so there will be no ip conflict.

within the client ASA/firewall/vpn concentrator, the VPN can be limited only to that one linux server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back