Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzilla

MIS
Feb 21, 2002
US
Here's the problem. I have a user working remotely who we believe has a virus. Virus check with latest dat files found one file in her temporary internet folder infected with JS/Seeker.gen.e. We deleted it, then did a deltree on the folder. We also deleted a prefs.js file which is what McAfee and Norton both say to look for. I was unable to find a backup1.reg, backup2.reg, homereg111.reg or any of the other files that it said to look for. I've run the update to the MSVM, yet we still get the following error when trying to get to various pages (including the MS windows update). User has win95b.

"If you see this, then you computer may have a virus" (yes, it is mispelled in the error message).

Any ideas?

I don't know about the spelling, it is possible an AV company could have mis-spelt something, it is possible that Windows scripting is messed up, since this is what the trojan uses. Certainly sites like Windows Update use ActiveX controls which would therefore not run properly. Your first port of call would be to download the demo version trojan cleaner from (funny name but it works) and see if it finds anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back