Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible software corruption when renumbering PRI-T1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekbryan

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a customer that needs more room in his Magix. He has 3 full cabinets. In cab 1 we have in this order, 408 MLX, 800 LS/GS, 800 LS/GS, 800 DID, INA-T1. No copper trunks beyond 1st 408. we want to remove the 3 unused trunk cards and replace them with station cards from the other end of the switch, thus freeing up 3 slots at the end for new stations. I have 10 years experience with Legend so I know the procedures but I have heard of problems when changing the programming of the numbering of the PRI trunks. They will be going from 829 thru 852 to 805 thru 828. Is there a need to worry about possible software corruption or can I just do the deed and board renumber without too much worry?
Thanks, Bryan

Bryan,

Since you say it is a full 3 carrier, I can only guess that you have several extensions beyond the first carrier.

If that is true, you will most likely scramble everything in the way of extension programming beyond the first carrier. This will also include any "associations" of those extensions with extensions in the first carrier.

I have done a few of these in the past few months, and they become very labor intensive and time consuming, especially if there are a lot of buttons programmed.

One way is to do a print all, then get a spare processor (in surrogate mode) and start from scratch. This way you can use the print all to help set up the extensions as they were.

Lots of luck....

merlinman@comcast.net

The Stations are going to be OK because you are not adding or removing extention ID's in middle of the system you have. I would un-program the PRI (slot/port programing)move the card and do a system renumber. If you move the PRI card it WILL lose the SS/PP programing anyway. Then reprogram the PRI SS/PP assignments.

Make sure you do a system backup to the card and your PC. The worst thing taht could happen is you may have to set up the system back to original config and restore it. and try again. as long as you have the Backup you can always go back to it.

Don

If you are keeping the DS1 card in the same position:
1. Remove the T1 trunks from any pools
2. Remove the trunk assignments from the PRI (not the B-channels).
3. Power down the system, replace your three cards and power back up.
4. Renumber the system
5. Add the new trunks to the PRI
6. Add the new trunks to any pools.
7. Verify you haven't screwed up the Attendant Console.
8. Backup your work
9. Re-arrange station cables accordingly.

Generally speaking, the corruption occurs when you change from a PRI to a standard T1 and back again to a PRI.

franke

That is what I was thinking of doing. Leave the T-1 card alone and move some stations ahead of it and their cables so there is no need of reprogramming any stations. The trunks on the T was the question and I like Frankie's answer.. will try it next weekend and let ya'll know how it went. It's a nursing home with 140 admin stations and they needed more. I will also try to replace 2 008MLX cards with 016's to get another slot freed up. What a full switch.. Thanks for the replies.

If you do ANY board moves with line cards, expect the PRI settings to be forgotton, and be prepared to reprogram the switch for the PRI. (Write down / print out the settings)

Pepperz@charter.net

Thanks. I did a print all recently so I do have the majority of the settings for everything up to that date. Will let you know how it does when finished.
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back