Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

possible mother board issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncr7

Programmer
Jul 30, 2007
US
I am having some trouble when I shutdown my computer. Everything shuts down but when it is off fans are still running and power supply is still on. I think this is happening because the motherboard doesn't send signal to shut down the power supply. It really doesn't effect the way the computer runs when it is on, just doesn't totally turn off. Anyone have an idea of what might be causing this? Possibly a cable not plugged in. I really haven't taken a good look at that but I don't think it is a loose cable.

what os are u running?
is acpi or normal apm installed?
did it work before, what did u change?

I'm running with Windows XP, I'm not sure if it is acpi or apm. I think it is most likely apm. I'm not around my desktop right now or I would check. It was working fine before, but one day it randomly just started doing that. I do run it for long periods of time without restarting. It is getting older because it is 3 years old now, but I want to make it work for another year before I build a new system.

not too sure how mobos work, but maybe a connection shook loose? Maybe it's just getting old, and i doubt it, but you could try upgrading the firmware?

I wonder if this happens to be an E-Machine...? This is one of the many classic symptoms of their failing motherboards I'm afraid to say.

If not, you could try changing the PSU, but I would err on the side of a hardware fault on the motherboard.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Not an e-Machine. I might try changing out the PSU. I really don't want to do any major changes to it because I am planning on saving money to build a new one in a few months. Thanks for the info.

I would open it up and check to see if everything is plugged in properly. Also, take a can of compressed air inside and blow it out or a good computer vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back