Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible Hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

LARiot

Programmer
Feb 7, 2007
Can anyone help shed some light. I got an alert from Norton saying an intrusion attempt by (gives attackers IP address) was blocked.

I'm thinking it might not be an attack because the attackers IP is almost identical to mine. The only difference is that it ends in a 1 and mine ends in 4. It might be the router or one of the other computers on our wireless home network. Then again someone might have hacked into their computer and trying to break into mine.

Here's some more info:
Risk Name: Portscan
Risk Level: Medium
Traffic Description: UDP, 53

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1.

Thanks

-Nima

Oh, before I forget I there was some problem with my PCMMedia(I believe sharing).exe.

It didn't say what it was but that a solution was being searched for. No solution was found.

Could this be related?

-Nima

Or it could be somebody sitting in a car outside your house that has attached to your wireless. You should make sure that the wireless is using some sort of authentication (they say that WEP is easily broken), and it's a good idea for your gateway to be performing NAT.

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about a single port scan. My firewall is scanned repeatedly every day.

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

That UDP port is used for DNS querries as well skypetoskype and I think AIM. You may want to confirm what if any P2P and instant messaging apps you may have installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back