Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible good replacement for Sidekick 98- when you must

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDane

Technical User
Jun 2, 2005
US
I have found that the Essential.pim program (free or fee for Pro version) does the job needed to replace SK98 when it is necessary. All contact files can be transferred in .csv format from SK98 to epim quite easily. Calendar information must be entered anew. However, it is easy and offers the day/wk/mo/yr option including color coding of lengthy time frames. It has to do input, notes (will take unlimited info in that field as far as I have tried), handles email sending and receiving. Passwords can be used if desired. It also synchronizes with Android, iOS devices and a huge number of cloud services. Given the concern with getting SK98 to work with Win 8 and 8.1 plus any future OS for Windows Epim is worth a look. Go to...

to see a comparison of the pro/free versions. I have purchased and setup the Pro version. It synched with my Samsung Galaxy S4 smoothly, including everything I entered in the desktop Epim.

I will use SK98 as long as possible, but expect that eventually I'll have to leave Win7 when I need a new desktop and/or laptop. Getting SK98 to work on a future unknown Windows OS might become more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for the info. The key reason I have stuck with Sidekick is the Contact Log associated with each card where you can keep an running bunch of free-form notes about the contact (e.g., past conversations and communications with the contact). I have some that go back 10 or more years. As long as there is a way to get this information easily transferred into the new PIM that would be a plus for me.

Doug

Dear WDane

It sounds really good.

Doug, the only thing with the contact log is that if you convert it via .csv as opposed to Tab delimited text file is that it is truncated to 254 characters.
If you are going to transfer in the future set up a few extra fields at the end of the card and over time, cut and paste the contact log entries in 254 character (preferably less) sections into those fields sequentially and then, come the time you transfer to any program, (including essential pim) you do not lose that data.

Once again WDane thanks, it sounds like a very good option

Jim

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Hi WDane
Why are we all not using MSOutlook and so on as it aligns with every Windows change and saves us all the hassle we appear to get from doing something else!

I´ve had EssentialPIM for some years and it has the plus that it´s a living PIM. It does not replace SK for me. MyContacts is a single folder. The ToDo does not repeat-until-you-delete. The “contacts” layout is a rigid format and I could not get the print-outs to look right. I keep it as a kind of back-up but the csv files I have do not align fully as yours does. The forums suggest problems but there is support. It must be good for some users as the free version gets good ratings.

The nearest I have ever got to Sidekick (SWK2) was RedBox Organiser which is as old as Sidekick and I see it is a buy at $40 but I don´t think it´s supported anymore. It has a blaze of coloured sections and adds things like anniversaries and planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back