Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible fix for "No dial tone" on the Remote worker IP Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebird Scrambler

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
GB
For some time, Ive had problems getting dial tone to work on IP sets when they are used as remote worker extensions. Although they register fine, I can't get any dial tone.

I've done a basic guide that should fix this for you. For me the problem was to do with the Voice VLAN settings. I found that I had to leave it on and then set the configuration to automatic.

Voice 802.1Q [0-N, 1-Y]:1 “Press 1”
Voice VLAN? [0-N, 1-Y]:1 “Press 1”
VLAN Cfg ? 0-Auto, 1-Man :0 “Press 0 to leave it as default which is automatic”
DHCP? [0 – N, 1-Y]: 1 “Press 1 to use the default local network gateway server address”
VLANFILTER? [0 – N, 1-Y]: 0 “Press 0”

Since making these changes, I get dial tone without any problems. The phone that I was testing it on was a I2002 phone with 0604DCO firmware.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Hello Brian

That is interesting to hear. I was using a typical BT home hub "5" that is used in the UK by most BT internet customers.

My guess is that it's easy to assume, when problems happen with getting IP phones to work, that the fault lies with the BCM phone system configuration or that the router isn't set up correctly. In my case I already had a 1140e phone in use and therefore wouldn't have thought it would be a router problem. It was when I compared the settings and also one connected to a UCX system that I had spotted the differences and was surprised that the change I made on the IP phone resolved the problem.

It goes to show that you can't take anything for granted when working on this stuff. I guess you always have to expect odd things to happen.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

I've got a BCM 50 6.0 with Traversal keycode. When I set this up a few months ago Time Warner would't work with me on port forwarding. I had them turn their cable modem into a bridge router and I installed a Linksys router and set up the ports myself. I then went to the remote location and set up a few 1140 e phones. All was good.
Now a few months later none of the IP phones have voice. they will connect but won't pass voice packets. I took a phone home and same problem.
I had my go to guy check my settings on the BCM and he said its perfect. I called Time Warner to verify ther modem was still in bridge mode and it is.
There have been no changes made to the Linksys.
I'm at a total loss

To verify it's the router temporarily place the BCM50 IP address in the DMZ of the Linksys router. If your remote phones work then you know it's a router setting. If they still don't work, then Time Warner is blocking ports needed for remote phones to work.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Did you reboot the router? or the BCM?
What ports did you forward or still show as being forwarded?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks for the responses. I am headed out there tomorrow to give it another go. Stay tuned

Walked in the door this morning. I plugged in the phone and had the external IP set as S1 from last week. it won't even connect now. I tried everything mentioned here. No luck. I have another router, I set it up and nothing. I'm really thinking Time Warner is blocking ports. When I was on the phone with them last week to verify the modem was still in bridge mode it was very difficult to get someone with a brain on the phone. Wish me luck

Time Warner came out and replaced the modem. He assured me it's in bridge mode.I had my vendor try from his office he connected but no voice. Maybe if I torch this building and walk away? Here are the ports that are programmed in the Linksys
Ports_jjyzwg.jpg

To quickly determine if the issue is caused by your port forwarding setup, you could set the BCM IP address as the DMZ destination. When you do that, all packets that have no known destination are sent to the DMZ device (which will be your BCM). If you have no voice even with the BCM IP address in DMZ, the problem would be somewhere else. Disable the DMZ configuration after this test!!! Otherwise, you'd leave your BCM exposed to attacks from outside.

I would recommend one change in your port forwarding rules - change the range 7000-7000 to 7000-7002. The ports 7001 and 7002 are used for echo and firmware updates. In fact, the port 7001 could be your problem - the echo port might be needed to properly determine the external IP address used by your router.

I use a Linksys router and the only port ranges I have forwarded are 7000-7002 and 30000-30099. Remote IP phones work fine with my BCM50 R6.

Firebirdscrambler had a suggestion in another thread to enable the voice VLAN feature on the IP phone. Try that and see what happens.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back