Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible DNS issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmargaryan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
I need some help with Windows 2000 and DNS. I have AD set up on one server that also hosts DNS services and I have Exchange server that we have set up as secondary DNS. Today I started to have problems with our outgoing and incoming mail and found out that the Exchange server can not see outside. All is checked well with the firewall and there has been no changes whatsoever. One change we have made to the systems was changing their system admin passwords for all of them. If I configure the Exchange server with different internal IP, it is able to get outside, however, gives problems with the old IP. I can not even ping to it. Any ideas?

Try deleting the DNS records for the Exchange server. Then have it re-register.

After deletign the DNS entries open a command prompt and run:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS
NET STOP NETLOGON
NET START NETLOGON

See if the system behaves after that.

Next thing to verify is how you have configured your DNS servers. They should probably point to each other for redundancy. Also verify that you have properly configured the DNS Forwarders on each DNS Servers Properties.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back