Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Possible Avaya bankruptcy incoming? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

lleeNC

Vendor
Aug 29, 2018
US
This would be Avaya's second bankruptcy if it does happen. Huge debt and they are down to a $55m market cap. Possible lawsuit for their current loan.

New CEO who is most likely going to do a massive layoff.

Pretty big f' up by Avaya. Not surprised.

Hardly suprised, the ring central thing pretty much lost my firm, we liked the containerised at it's time.

Shame, love the hardware.

Calum M
ACSS

Ring Central strike all the customers they could get and lots of sales people were so short sighted that they only wanted the quick buck and now they are whining about the customers being gone that they had to get with hard work over years and years.
Avaya will probably still be around for a while but lose a lot of the marketshare they had in the small and medium market.
I wonder sometimes why their leaders make do much money when they are so unimaginably "special"
I am not supposed to write stupid.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

I'm not surprised and Avaya brought this on themselves.
Don't listen to partner feedback
They have lost a lot of talented and good employees
Support is very poor

We have also not gone ahead with the ACO due to the stupid billing.
They should have kept containerised as this worked really well.

What doesn't help is Avaya calling our customers trying to sell ACO and trying to take customers off us.

I assume that with the installment of Alan Masarek (in the dual role of CEO and President), Avaya is doubling down on the cloud. Masarek has a long history with Vonage, which was once a residential VoIP service that grew into servicing businesses. I admit to being a little cynical because of my history with traditional communications means, but I appreciate the appeal of [what I call] IP Centrex. It's no longer the "flavor of the week" technology or fodder for golf course d**k measuring contests. It's an IT person's party and the Bell heads aren't invited.

I've kept up from the early days of the Internet starting with a CCNA and blah blah blah. That's not my issue. I'm strapped trying to service my large swath of SMBs in rural areas of the United States. For example, I have a John Deere distributor that operates on a large piece of real estate that is somewhat outside of city limits. He wants to do more, but I only have a handful of voice-grade copper pairs to work with. Fiber is coming "one day"--and will--but this is just one example. Now I've gotta keep these guys serviced for the next 10 years or so before I retire. The co-ops and "ma and pa" RBOCs out here only move so fast. I can keep replacing parts bought from the grey market or I can abandon Avaya altogether and look at Grandstream or any number of companies that still make on-prem hardware that supports old circuits and internal VoIP.

It might suit Avaya to take an HONEST evaluation of who their customers are and have been rather than plowing ahead like a hungry shark with their new teeth. They should also consider guys like me who have lived through some of their crazy times, figured out ways to fix issues and still make them look like champs. Salespeople don't always wear ties, folks. Avaya-branded hardware backed by dedicated field guys will move your product. But I fear that they've gotten a bit smug and forgotten their roots. I mean, how many of us pretty much just now see them as a reseller of somebody else's service? They are becoming a shadow of their former selves.

And the financial problems may just be the last nail in the coffin.

Tim Alberstein

Lenders are on alert now that the quarterly reports are delayed (due to a whistleblower letter and internal investigation). This is a wait-and-see thing. My hope is that they can get through this again without having to take the measure of abruptly sunsetting the IP Office as they did with Partner and MAGIX. There's been scuttlebutt about that for the last two years, but talk is cheap.

Tim Alberstein

2022-08-15_kdb15t.png

What's luck to do with it. He's already $4M up on a golden hello, a hero if he succeeds, and no blame if it fails because it was already doomed. Meanwhile, Jim Chirico has wandered off with $14M for this year alone, so at least the new guy is cheaper and given how tight things might be on the loan interest repayments that could be crucial.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

I would love a job like that, go in and screw up, blame the times and the changing industry rather than being short-sighted and then leave with more money a normal person will make in a lifetime.
But hey we told them it's not going to work but we have no MBA in the signature which means we all must be stupid.
I despise those arrogant snobs, especially the ones that say that they always have an open for and will listen to other people but then still do whatever they wanted to do anyways.
Avaya send like Nortel, huge customer base with systems out there but most people just really want phones that ring and that they can make calls with and not some high tech features above twinning. Once they have the system they but a new one when the old one dies or maybe when they move.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back