Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POSIX routines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

globos

Programmer
Nov 8, 2000
FR
Does someone know the rules for the C POSIX library? I mean what headers, routines are always availables for C/C++ compilers?
For example <dirent.h> is a POSIX header but is not present in Visual C++ 2005. Another example is stricmp() for which Visual C++ 2005 complains about deprecation(it says you should use _stricmp() instead).
The C POSIX world seems a mess to me, maybe it's not, so if some one can provide URLs on this subject, or clarify problems, it would be great.

PS : I have to adapt code to make portable across compilers and plat-forms. Some parts use functions from POSIX headers, but should I rely on them?

--
Globos

Wow! I've heard of Unix System Services, but I'v never heard about POSIX support on Windows. :)

One thing I'm a little confused about though... Why does Windows need a POSIX sub-system? Don't you just need a set of API's that support the same interfaces as all the POSIX functions? i.e. couldn't you just write POSIX functions that call the normal Windows API calls?

When I last used VS2005 it seemed to deprecate every well known string handling C routine and it still doesn't support the C99 std.

Officially, VS supports POSIX 1003.1 but not 1003.2 (network calls etc).

As far as I know, it was US DoD requirement to support POSIX for DoD-purchased computers. Many years ago it was DoD requirement to support for COBOL compilers on these computers etc.
I'm not sure, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back