Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POSitouch or Aloha? Pizza/Italian Restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyinAZ

Technical User
May 13, 2005
US
An italian restaurant in Mesa, AZ... primarily pizza and heavy delivery.

We've narrowed it down to POSitouch & Aloha. We need a good delivery module. Anybody familiar with either of these delivery systems? Are they good? Pros/Cons? What do you think we should go with?

Appreciate any input..

Andy :)

I believe POsitouch's delivery and frequent buyer package is freeware, and there is probably a reason for that, whereas Aloha will charge to add on the delivery and frequent buyer package. If in a real heavy delivery environment you may want to consider a pizza package that utilizes caller id that automatically brings up the customers account when the phone rings and is totally designed only for delivery. If you are more interested in having loacal support and setup, then I would lean toward Aloha, we have it in two locations that due delivery and no complaints.

Bo

I'm a man,, I can change,, If I have too,, I guess. (Red Green)

I believe what Bo is saying is that you get what you pay for. I don't know if this is still the case since it's been nearly 6 years since I have done any work with POSiTouch, but it used to be that when you purchased their software, you pretty much got almost all of the add-ons included with it at no extra charge (i.e. the ability to do delivery, inventory, and any other add-ons). When I started to work with Aloha, I was suprised to learn that they charged extra for most of their modules (delivery, gift card, etc). At first, I thought this was a little weak, and would probably turn some customers off. Why pay extra for something I can get for free with someone else? Well, in a word, the answer is "quality". I quickly learned that MOST (not all), of Aloha's modules were intuitive, robustly featured, and fairly stable. Many of the modules I had seen with POSiTouch looked like they were thrown together for the mere purpose of being able to say the software could do it. However, as I said, this was a few years ago.

I think you'd probably find either one of the systems adequate, but I can vouch well enough for the ALoha system. I remember it being not-so-easy to set up from a technical perpsective, but post installation, I think the only customer in our area that had it, was happy with it. As a side note, I have always felt that being one of the larger and more expensive POS developers, most "pizza joints" aren't looking to shell out big bucks for an Aloha system. Bo only mentioned 2 customers having it, and I only knew of one in our area... and this was really a restaurant with Table Service that had a carry-out section. So, depending on the size and nature of your business, that me also be something to think about.

Speedline offers CallerID and on-line delivery maps (with turn by turn directions) for the delivery drivers in their Pizza POS product.

I think the cost of this product would be far less then Aloha or POSitouch

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I neglected to give more information initially. We're a regular restaurant with full dining and a full bar. We're not just a pizza joint. We are currently using Squirrel, and have been for awhile. We've had numerous problems with it and we're ready to switch to something more stable, easier, and modern.

You can try out a demo of Cafe Cartel's POS. It supports Pizza & Delivery, and Restuarant Service.

Aloha is good and stable, to many it's cost prohibitive and for service it is very expensive.

As far as stability, I've seen every type of system go down. The best thing to do to ensure stability is to purchase a good equipment, make sure your power supplies are not inline with the rest of your restaurant equipment and get to know the POS system you are working with.

Good Luck

Mark P.
Providing Low Cost Powerful Point of Sale Solutions.

Squirrel systems are sensitive to bad power. No matter what system you get (both are now good) get a power conditioner on each station and kitchen printer. I have seen this clear up wierd problems and lower maintenance costs on all systems, across the board. Now that Radiant owns Aloha it might be to expensive.

Any computer system, POS or not, is sensitive to power -- not just Squirrel systems.

I totally agree. The old squirrel systems just seemed to be really noisy power sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back