Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Position number for a location

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunlitMik

MIS
Feb 18, 2002
AU
HI, I'm in IT support and my user has a db that has a checkbox field listing several local areas; eg. Sunnydale, Mount Shining, Timbuktoo etc.. When the user enters a new record and selects say Timbuktoo, user wants to show on screen this is the 23 Timbuktoo entry. Basically, If("area"="Timbuktoo",TRUE value Timbuktoo serial no. 123,FALSE value Other location serial no. 234). Basically, user selects Timbuktoo and the number 23 appears for the 23rd Timbuktoo Entry. If user selects Sunnydale, would like it to say 15 if it is the 15th Sunnydale entry.

So far, I have created a Timbuktoo & Sunnydale dbs & joined it to the "Area" field. Have created an auto-serial no. field in Timbuktoo db but am unable to get the "position" number. Have also tried "position" formula in creation field unsure how this really works but I got zero as the result. Had a look at some enquiries herein, but couldn't find anything. Any help very much appreciated. Rgds Mik

Any help would be appreciated.

This one is a little complicated to explain in a forum like this. And I think we answered you in great detail on XpertSS.com recently.

Basically, you need to create an alias of your database and join it to the original on the "Area" field. Then add a repeating panel of the alias database to your form. Define a calculated field = SCount(aliasareafield) with summary option of "All records in xxxx" where xxxx is the alias of your database. You can now use the calculated field to show the number of entries for a given area. Substitute your db and field names!

Note that the calculated field number will not increment to include the new record until you press ENTER to commit the new record to the database.

Sue Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back