Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

posfix to relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

agjones

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
US
I need help going the last mile on setting up this mail server.

I can get mail.
I can send mail to our domain.com
Ican NOT send mail to other domains.

I am trying to setup this mail server to send and receive all mail for ourdomain.com, with out use of the ISP servers. MX is done. everything seems right except getting mail delivered to other domains!

Pls help.

AGJ

hi agj

whats the output from postfix in syslog? If you do 'mailq' at the prompt is all the mail sat there waiting to go? If it is, there'll be some sort of error around each mail telling you why it's not going....

Post some of the output here and we can delve closer into why it's not going...

Do you have a valid relayhost command pointing to your ISP's mailserver in /etc/postfix/main.cf ?

If you have a fully qualified domain name for you IP and want to act as a mailserver, I would recomend looking into SMTP AUTH or POP-BEFORE-SMTP, that is really the only way you can relay mail through your server (besides setting up IP's for all the clients that are authorized to relay, very bad if they are on dialup and such, or you can just make an open relay, BUT DON'T DO THAT!!! I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!! If you do not want to be on everyone's **it list for relaying spam.) there is many ways to authenticate,

take a look at this (SMTP AUTH)

and this (POP-BEFORE-SMTP):

I would recomend SMTP AUTH personally (this is what I use)

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back