Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POS wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

KETEL3

Vendor
Jul 6, 2003
US
I have a Squirrel Workstation 6XL POS system. It has not worked properly since installation. The dealer claims that my CAT 5 wiring(which networks all of my workstations together) is the problem. He claims it must be insulated within conduit to function properly for Squirrel Systems. My electrician says otherwise. He claims CAT 5 is insulated enough on its own. Is there anyone out there who can solve this delima for me? I do not wish to spend thousands of dollars to have conduit run if it is not necessary. I need fact, not opinion please!

I have done miles of cabling for Poitouch and Aloha POS systems. The only time I use conduit is when the wire will be exposed and I do it to keep it neat. This is what I would check for.
1. Make sure the cabling is not tied to electrical conduit.
2. Your whole system should be on its own dedicated\isolated circut.(very important)
3. Did the dealer do the cabling? If not it will be a pass the blame from here on out.
4. Make sure the hub or any workstations aren't against a wall that has the electrical panels on the other side.
5. If you can go with out a terminal a day start turning them off one at a time to see if one location may be the cause. I had a remote printer at a site that was the cause of a similar problem.

What I will suggest,(you will not like) is have the dealer redo the wiring. I know its going to cost you but now its their problem and no more passing the buck. Reply back if you have more questions. Although I'm not familiar with squirrel cat5 network standards should still apply.

Bo Spruell
bo.spruell@klinecr.com

My experience with Squirrel is that the wiring specifications are not specific to squirrel, they are industry standard.

Wiring can sometimes be forgiving, but sometimes not. The tips in the previous post are a good place to start.

I would suggest you also have a closer look at your power. You can most likely have the dealer perform a power audit and this will tell you how "dirty" or "noisy" your power is. This can cause some funky things in my experience if it's not correctly isolated.

You could also look at powervars. These are power conditioners that I had at the restaurant that I worked at. We could put a terminal or printer anywhere into any plug because these would take care of the power for us and we never had problems.

there might be a cut in the cable run or the termination is not done properly. another is you might have run the cable parallel to a transaformer specially on neon lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back