Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POS suggestions for small retail shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravashaak

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
US
I have a friend who asked my advice on a new POS system for a small retail shop. The shop is a not-for-profit, so cost is a big factor (although they might be able to swing a substantial discount on IBM gear).

Their requirements are to ring up basic sales (mostly t-shirts and souvenirs), both cash and cc, and to be able to tie it into either their SQL or Access databases (for inventory purposes).

What sorts of systems/setups would you recommend? I was once up on the POS world, but I am woefully out of date now. Any help is certainly appreciated. And if you need more info, just ask!

Thanks,

- Ravashaak

Do you plan on installing and supportting it for them?

If not, then I reccomend go to the local cash register companies and decide if you want an ECR (electronic cash register) or a POS system. Then you can post back what the dealers have in your area and we can help you make a decision amoung those. If you websearch for retail software you will find a million of them from something someone created sitting on their couch, to something like RetailPro or Catapult.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

The new DELL small business flyer has several POS systems using Quickbooks POS for around 2-3000.

Bo, just because you cannot program a POS system in your underwear while surrounded by empty soda cans a week old pizza boxes, please do not assume others cannot.

I hear know Microsofts Retail Management Systems is pretty popular... I know a friend of mine who sells and installs it, and swears by it. And I don't think it's that expensive comparatively--it's no banger (aka SAMS Club Register), but it's not expensive as a restaurant POS either.

Cam commerce has a free version of it's Retail Star program dubbed Retail Ice. Single Pc, Single Store only. Supposedly free tech support and there is a bulletin board too. All you pay for is shipping for the software (and manuals if you want them). Updates get charged for shipping as well. Good Luck. There is a guy out there named Dale Harris... has a free dos based pos package. Google him.

I would be leary on risking my business on "free" anything, personally. As competitive as things are anymore, it's already tough to buy from someone who looks like they'll be in business for a few years.. nevermind someone who isn't charging for it.

Don't get me wrong... I am all about getting a good deal on stuff in my personal life, but busienss is another matter. But in either case, "you get what you pay for" is an old adage that still seems alive in well. In fact, I have a pessimistic twist on it.

"Consider yourself lucky if you get what you pay for." Because in most cases, I seem to find products and services falling short of the prices being charged. I.e. if you spend more, you'll get something "less crappy" :)

Our Church bookstore recently purchased a POS system from POSGUYS.It comes with "Store Manager " software. What is the most efficient way to get started. We currently have many books that need to have the book barcodes scanned into this system.Is there a faster way of entering this information ? Thank you, T

Yes, get a cheap keyboard wedge scanner.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back