Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ports used on /etc/services need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexia32

Technical User
Jul 31, 2007
NZ
Hello Guys

/etc/services have a bunch of standard ports
Some of those ports are used by some applications on my aix server and so there is conflict..

one of the port that is used by the applications is port 1417 and on /etc/services it is assigned to "timbuktu"

do you think I can assign the standard port to my applications ? if yes how we do that ?

Cheers

I think you have to configure this from the application side!

Like for example, we have Cimage application installed in my company and there is a confi file that we have to edit to change the used port by this application!

Regards,
Khalid

If the port is not being used for the named application you can use it for something else. Type "netstat -an | grep LISTEN" and check to see if 1417 is in use. If not, its yours. Just be aware that if you do try to use the named application at a later time, it won't work.

With that said it would be a better idea to change the port used by your application to something else not assigned in the /etc/services file.

If you make changes in /etc/services be sure to run "refresh -s inetd" to inform the daemon of the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back