Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Porting Sco onto or into Linux. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 1999
CA
Visit site
I currently adminster two old unix boxes used for redictive Autodailing and Database Creation. They Are old! I would like to Use a Linux server, however the T1 connectors connect to a card that is ISA and are massive. The System boxes are huge! Right now I was wondering if I could connect that machine to a new Linux Server using COM, PARALLEL, etc and force the jobs onto the new server, or would it bottle neck? The system is under massive strain do to hardware limitations. I'm trying to phase out the machine, but I have little space on the hard drives and they are constantly in use. I would like to export the data to the new server and use linux as the OS. The Unix OS on it is old and not very good and cannot be updraged. Nor can the Hardware or Bios. Concern over Y2K.

6-05-2000<br>Hi am reading the SCO forum @ TR and came across your question. <br><br>REMEMBER the software must be able to work on new system (HW AND OS) Linux is the best choice (IF you understand the open development game and are willing to keep in touch and upgrade when neccessary (DO NOT BE LEFT BEHIND AS Linux matures UPGRADE &gt;UPGRADE&gt;UPGRADE&gt;UPGRADE&gt;UPGRADE when it is <br>the right time and with Linux the upgrades are not a nightmare) sometimes it will be very troublesome but &quot;usually&quot; it can be made to work IF you know what you are up against.<br>&nbsp;....... Well with that being said ...<br><br>A)NEVER GO PAST THE POINT OF NO RETURN<br>&nbsp;NEVER <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;NEVER<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;NEVER do away with your old working box,get your data off of existing box a un-evasive as possble (do not open ia @ all possible)<br><br>B) make sure you have <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;#1 a clean filesystem <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;#2 a emergency boot disk <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;#3 2(TWO) verified backups<br><br>C) have you ever used &quot;kermit&quot; this is porbably the most painless <br><br>D) have you ever heard of &quot;lone-tar&quot; you can succeccfully pull your data off with a floppy if you have to<br><br>&nbsp;when you start this task you need to know where you are going before you through the pancake out of the skillet.<br>YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT SKILLET YOU INTEND TO CATCH WITH!<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> <br><br>We can do it for you ANYWHERE you are @ on planet earth<br>we do not go to mars yet. (waiting for &quot;al&quot; to get in the Whitehouse.)when he blazes the trail we will follow and bring the the martians. after that? who knows? <br>Just ask yourself this question should planet earth be the only planet with the &quot;al&quot; invented? Why not make it the uww?<br>references available upon request...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back