Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Porting Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJacobs313

Technical User
Apr 26, 2013
US
So I have never done this before, but we bought a clinic and want to keep their fax number, so we are porting the number over to us. With phone's I know this has been done in the past, some of our 4 digit extensions have 2 different prefixes, but go to the same extension. I did not set this up originally, job kind of fell in my lap. I am worried about faxes not coming through, because the line is configured for xxx-5148 and the old number would be yyy-5148. Would there be something in CM that I would have to do to make the ported number come in correctly? Or like the phones, is it just the 4 digits coming through that matter, and both would go to the same machine? This is a new one for me! Thanks

if they have ported number you should be ok as it will look for a match in the pbx

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm acss aura messaging.

For one you need to find out exactly what the carrier is sending down the pipes... 4, 7 or E.164. The longer the better. If they are sending 4 digits down the 5148 will ring through fine, assuming you don't have another 5548 in your system. If they are sending the xxx or yyy along with 5148 you would use incoming call handling treatment to delete digits. If you have an overlap of 5148 you may have to ask your carrier to send down the full number of the fax number and then you can control what happens in the pbx.

I was told they send down 4 digits, and I have programmed that extension in the PBX as fax's in the hopes that this would take care of the issue. I guess we will find out when it gets ported over. When I do look into the programming there is nothing there for deleted or inserted digits. Thank you so much for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back