Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

portal starts EXTREMELY slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romka

Programmer
Jun 14, 2003
AU
hi,

i have sharepoint server running on a dual 1ghz with 1gb ram.

Question being - why is it when its started for the first time, does the page/portal take AT LEAST 3 minutes! Fair enough, then it's semi-quick (not the speed you expect from a LAN).

I know its JIT compilation of the page, but 3 minutes ?! That's just rediculous. A few hours later, same thing.

Most of the content changes maybe once a week, although I need sharepoint for its integration with Office.

Anyway of making it quicker on first run?

Thank you.

Romka-

You're quite right, the JIT engine is a bit slow to first build the page; however, three minutes is outrageous!

A few questions:

1. What server OS is this hitting? 2003 Advanced?

2. What type of database is this hitting? MSDE? SQL? Is the DB located on the same box as SPS or is it hitting another database server?

3. If SQL, how much RAM is allocated to the database server?

4. How many servers are on this SPS server? Indexing, job, etc?

From what I can tell with SPS2003, it's very touchy on the amount of RAM and processing given to it and will eat up whatever it can get. I've noticed significant gains in performance by adding additional RAM to a machine.

Finally, if SQL, try these options:

In your Enterprise Manager, go into the Properties for your server:

1. On the processor tab, ensure both of your CPUs are allocated to the SQL process and that "Use all available processors" is checked. You can check the "Boost SQL Server priority on Windows", but I have never seen a performance gain with it.

2. I welcome any input on this one. In my experience, setting SQL to "Dynamically configure SQL Server memory", but setting a reserve boosts performance. For an example, I have 4GB in the SPS2003 server and have allocated at least 1GB to SQL...

Thanks and hope a few of these help!

-David

---
David R. Longnecker
Web Developer
CCNA, MCSA, Network+, A+
Management Information Services
Wichita Public Schools, USD 259

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor