Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Portable Wifi Access Point 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlycord

Programmer
Sep 22, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I am tired of standing, sitting on servers, leaning on racks, straining my eyes, freezing cold air conditioners, loud server fans, sauna like temps and so on.

For sites where the phone system are not on the network I would like to simply plug in a wifi access point into the phone systems network jack then go into some cozy board room and do my laptop thing.

Rather that lugging around a big smoke detector with its power supply in my laptop bag I am thinking of something like this:

I want it Battery powered or USB powered would be really nice but not sure on output voltage of USB on say BCM phone systems.

Has anyone tried doing this and if so what product are you using?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Interesting idea. BCM application: Set the wired LAN/WAN port of the device to the OAM subnet and then log in to the wireless subnet of the router... would work great. Plug it in and then sit in the board room and program away.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

That's right Marv!

sbcsu thanks but I already have that which I use for emergencies when the clients landline internet goes down but I keep that in the truck.
I should have made it more clear by saying I want something small and that does not require a 120v power supply.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

That is much better thanks.
According to Amazon.ca: 2" x 3" x 0.5" in size and it uses USB power (or 120v).....a tad smaller then a S5 Galaxy.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks, a bit bulky though...I posted slimmer HooToo version in my first post.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Hello Curly

I got this useful little beast last year that should do the trick for you. It was pretty cheap for around £10.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

Thanks guys
This is to carry around site to site, no need to hook up to clients devices.

I would log into the device and change its IP address to match the system I am connecting too exactly the same as if I was doing the same with my laptop.
Example:
BCM OAM port is 10.10.11.1
New Mini WiFi Access Point would be set to 10.10.11.2
RJ45 Patch cord from OAM to WiFi AP
USB to Mini USB

Set my WiFi Laptop to 10.10.11.33 or higher
or
Set WiFi AP DHCP for wireless connections

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Paul,
The OAM subnet is only 2 hosts 255.255.255.252 mask.

So the device would need to have NAT translation on the wireless side.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

FirebirdScrambler,

How long does the battery for the LB-LINK BL-MP01 hold up when in use?

Seems like a really nice device to have around. It could even be a nice device to use when traveling on a vacation and you suddenly find a need for better wifi than is available otherwise.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back