Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

portable apache to run off CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2005
FR
Hi everyone,

I need a portable verions of apache with php and mysql that can run off a cd so I can give prospective clients a version of my portfolio they can see by inserting a cd into their computers and have it auto run (I will also be using a portable version of firefox which will load and bring up an index page of the sites I want to showcase).

Does anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies at this late hour (at least it is in Europe).

Had a good look around and I might go with this as it specifically mentions cd's.

Need this quite urgent as I've got meetings tomorrow, so hopefully it'll work.

I'll report back when I have a solution.

Richard

Thanks Smah, unfortunately that won't do it as I need something that will autorun when put into a machine running Windows rather than go through explaining how to run a live cd.

Appreciated though.

Richard

Do the prospective clients not have internet access? Wouldn't it be easier to just create a single showcase page on the web & have it link to live sites (or fake duplicates if needed to "try stuff")?

Yes, I could do that, but I want to let them look at the sites irrespective of whether they have acces or not (and lots of people still don't have internet access here in France yet, even site owners!!)

I managed to get it working yesterday using http// although it is worth pointing out to people that things liker the php.ini file they use might need to be tweaked to show sites properly. I also included live links on the index page.

Richard

A suggestion...

Make sure that you configure the portable server to run on an odd port (example: since some folks may already have a server running on the default port whether they realize it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back