Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Restrictions for Long Distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cepolly

IS-IT--Management
Jul 7, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am relatively new and inexperienced with the IP Office 4 system. We have 2 IP 400's and one IP 406. The company that was supporting the system is all but dissolved.

We moved one of the avaya phones, plugged it back in and now we cannot call long distance. We get a long tone after the call goes through and then a recording saying the call cannot go through. We have tried this with multple phone #'s with different area codes. However we can call local long distance with 10 digits.

I need to undo this asap.

And does anyone know where I can get training on this?

Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.

AvayaU is where I got some of my certifications. The IP Office is not all that bad, it is a different animal from other PBX's you may be used to. When you changed ports, did you make a change in the "Extension" field? if you want to move stations without moving jumpers, the "Extension" field is where you physically assign an extension to a port, that is it. The user field is the features of that extension. What does the display on the phone that doesn't work now?

That's just it. other than the phone being unplugged, nothing changed. we plugged bak into the same jack in the wall.

I am extremely novice on this system. can someone walk me through some troubleshooting steps.

I already rebooted the entire system.

Thanks.

Is the username on the phone display still they same after as before?
Only thing that comes to mind is that someone logged in with another user and when you unplugged it it defaulted back to the base user that isn't allowed to do long distance calls.

Yes same user.

is there a place where you can actually restrict or unrestrict a user or extension from dialing long distance?

Under the configuration tree
extensions
what is the ID, ext, mosule, port for the ext number in question.

Cepolly

you can restrict user in user restrictions or user rights (depandes on what version you use)
also you can do this at the shortcodes tab of the user
but most of the time you have more usersthat are not allowed
with user restrictions(rights) you have to do this 1 time and assing it to the users

example

the user is not allowed to dail 1234567890
this shortcode must be made

sc: 1234567890
feature: busy
telephone number: 1234567890
line id: 0

Thanks very much for that.

I looked through that user and there are no short codes or restrictions.

Could it be a problem with the actual phone?
Also phome manager is not installed, should I install it?
Should I reinstall the IMS client?

Thanks.

plug this phone into another port, test, and report.

Also, do you dial a 9 to get an outside line?

If so, look in the short codes section, and report all the short codes that begin with [9]

OK will do. will have to be monday for phone test.

I know though that there are no short codes at all. I checked that yesterday.

And yes to dialing 9.

I want to saee all of your system short codes which start with [9], also account codes.

maybe i don't know where to look. i could not find any. will check again.

great as i hit submit, i found them. there are alot.

here it is:

[9]0N; 0NSi5555555555 Dial3K1 0
[9]1N; 1NSi5555555555 Dial3K1 0
[9]N; NSi5555555555 Dial3K1 0
[9]xxxxxxxxxx NSi5555555555 Dial3K1 0
9 SecondaryDialTone 0

If all calls are going over the same Line ID 0, you only need these two short codes.

[9]N; Nsi5555555555 Dial3k1 0

9 . SecondaryDialTone 0

"The lack of understanding is the root of all problems

How do I know if everything is on Line 0? I am guessing that it is based on what our provider gave us.

Also does that mean that I can or should remove the other '9' entries?

Did you mean Line group code?

If so the are all Line group ID = 0.

And I have a total of 80 short codes 5 of which refer to '9'.

I'm assuming you have IP Office ver 2.1 or later and assuming you all calls go out on same carrier for local and long distance calls if so then you only need those two shortcodes.
That should do it.

Thank you.

Let me ask do you think this will solve the long distance issue? Or should I wait until after I test the physical phone 1st?

If you are only having trouble with only one phone, change it out first. If all the other phones are working fine you could leave shortcodes as is. Or cut it down to 2 system shortcodes instead of 5. Personally I prefer just 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back