Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxjoker

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
US
Hi !

I have a problem with my application : when the port is brutally reset, it doesn't work anymore, even if I empty the buffers. How can I do to reset the port without closing it ?

Thanks,

FoxJoker

> I have a problem with my application

I have a problem with your post.

> when the port is brutally reset

'the port'? Are you running a toaster?

'brutally reset'?

I checked ALL my technical references and could not locate that term.

> How can I do to reset the port without closing it ?

'the port'? Please see the question above.

'without closing it'? How did you open it? What mechanism are you using to talk to what port? How do you know it has been 'brutally reset', did you trip over the cable and pull it out?

Are you in the correct forum?
What is your favorite color? LOL

-pete

Hi Pete !

I mean the serial port, when talking about the port. And 'brutally reset' means that it hasn't been done from the computer, but from the device that is connected to.

foxjoker,

First I am not a seasoned Serial Port developer. In the modest experience I have in Win16 and Win32 serial port development there is no notion of 'reset'. So I still have no idea what has actually happend in technical terms.

First, are you sure the 'port' is not responding to your code or is the device connected to the port not responding? If so how?

If you are sure it is the port:

Have you tried ClearCommError(), ClearCommBreak(), Clearing and setting DTS and RTS, changing the baud rate, etc. ?

Also, think about the architecture. The port itself is a hardware component that probably is not the source of the problem. Next comes the system bios that connects the port to the system, this is not likely the problem either. Then comes the device driver which is software and could possibly be what is locking up. If any of those three tiers are causing the problem I would think a re-boot would be the only solution.

Next comes your code manipulating the Comm API. Then finally the device that is connected to the port, this would be the first thing I would look at.

Hope this helps
-pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back