Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb1978

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
US
I had SQL 2000 installed and services started, then when trying to setup a client machine to attach via ODBC to the Server, the ODBC setup would just run in hour glass mode. I went back to the server, and stopped and tried to restart the services, the server started, but I recieved port binding errors when trying to start the Agent. Anyone have any ideas what I should look for. I looked at port setups and it was set to receive any ports.

Hi,

SQL Server 2000 introduces multiple instances. However, client tools such as Query Analyzer or ISQL/W, which are available with previous versions of Microsoft SQL Server, might experience difficulty connecting the non-default Named Instances. For example, if you try to connect to a named instance by using \\computer_name\instance_name,

You must have Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.6, or later, to connect to a named instance by using the \\computer_name\instance_name format.

Or you can configure a server alias to use either TCP/IP sockets, or Named Pipes to connect to a SQL Server 2000 server directly without having to specify the named instance name.

Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back