Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvmk

Programmer
Mar 12, 2001
US
hi
i would like to know how to know which application is running on what port and how to terminate that.
hope to get an quick response

thanx for u'r time

mahesh

Refer to this MS article and follow the links. This is the most comprehensive list of port number assignments I've seen.
As far as terminating the application on a port number, I'm not sure what you are trying to do? You can stop applications from running in Service Manager, or reassign port numbers to applications, or filter port numbers through Firewall configuration software. More info required for best solution to your problem.

Hi
Thanx PlanetSoulution. The problem i'm facing is when i run Persistent Name Server, in Visual Age Java, sometime it says Port is in use. It captures Port Number 900. It could be because it might have not reliquished the port, since the last time it used. For this purpose i wanted to know how to terminate the process running on a particular process. At present when ever i'm facing such problem i'm restarting the system !

Hope some will help me

thanx
mahesh

maheshpv, have you tried to run ipconfig /renew_all? It resets the IP stock, and it might(!) release old ports/applications assignments. Of course, in case it works, it's going to interrupt your TCP/IP services currently running.

I've never done it myself, just a speculation. Again, in case it works, you can make a batch to run it every so often, but to fix the problem (as hard as it might be) would be the best solution.

Hope it helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back