Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Mirroring on summit Xos 12.0.4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

achtung

Technical User
Mar 1, 2007
IT
Good Morning,
I want to test the mirror port and I have configured the mirror port where I connected a wireshark ( on port 3 )
On port 1 I have a client and from client launch a telnet connection to the server.
I only see the traffic from client to server but no viceversa

Thanks
Giuseppe

mmm can i see the mirroring configuration?.

greetings

Giuseppe,

The ExtremeXOS port mirror is going to send the mirrored packet to your Wireshark based on how the packet comes into the switch. So, if the telnet packet comes into the switch on a TAGGED vlan the packet will be mirrored to wireshard with as tagged. If the PC running wireshark has a NIC that cannot read tagging then wireshark will not be able to read the packet. You are probably mirroring both directions, but your PC NIC is only showing you the untagged direction. If it is a Broadcom or Intel NIC there are registry entries that you can modify that will allow you to see VLAN tagging. Example, Dell Laptop with BCOM or Intel NIC. Google for instructions on your NIC.

I use a Netgear GA511 PCMCIA card for wireshark. It allows me to see untagged and tagged mirrored packets without any problems.

Try using a different PC and NIC card, or use a third party NIC, such as a Netgear.

I hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back