Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

port mapping in server pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebse8

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
AU
With windows 98 I am using winroute pro. I know I have to map ports so my client pc with internal address 192.168.0.2 can access some applications. My question is do I have to map ports if I would do my downloading from Kazaa, Gnutella winmx or Grokster using only my server pc (the one with winroute installed) The internal address is 192.168.0.1 . Is there a need for port mapping in this case. Another question is that is there a way of disabling the firewall of winroute pro? I installed the software inorder that my client pc can do some browsing but if this software is to create access problems such as closing off some ports that downloading and limiting ports, then I would rather get another software. Could anyone please advise me? thanks

Hi,

your 1st question :
normally you should be needing portmapping in that case

your 2nd question :
below in your taskbar (at your clock) you should see a blue round icon, if you click with your right mousebutton, you can "disable" the winroute engine, then the firewall just stops working

regards

Olivier Ceuppens

NetCom Engineer

Xircom Europe Middle East and Africa
(HeadQuarters in Belgium)

If you are downloading using the usual file stealing er sharing programs you should only need port mapping if you are using a machine other than the winroute host.

If you disable the engine the router stops working.
To disable the NAT firewall start up the administrator then on the Interfaces Config bring up the properties for the External interface and uncheck the Perform NAT box, Bear in mind this will leave your internal network addresses accessible from the Internet.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back