Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port is not pointing to "right" printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floribunda

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
This is driving me batty. I have a lexmark Z11 printer which was working fine, and then one day (according to the person who uses it) it quit responding.

Here's what I did. Uninstalled the printer. Reinstalled the printer. Printed a test page from the printer control. I also performed "quick clean" from McAfee Uninstaller.

Went into MS Word and tried to print a document. The print control box pops up and after about 10 seconds, a window pops up saying something to the effect of "this is the wrong printer...this port is pointing to the wrong printer" etc.

Every time I try to print from an application, I get this message, even though I am able to align the cartridge and print a test page.

What could this Be????

Going nutz, Floribunda

What version of Word are you running? Are there two instances of the same printer in the printing properties? If so try the other one.

Thanks - no, it was the only printer in the properties. I did a thorough diagnostic including unplugging cable, etc. Last step was to look in the BIOS, and lo and behold, the port was set to "compatible" instead of "bidirectional".

Setting it to bidirectional fixed everything! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back