Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

port grouping with intel server adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpet

Technical User
May 18, 2007
GR
Hi everyone

I have a 3com switch with 24 gigabyte ports model 4200g and a Intel server adapter with two gigabyte ports and i want to make a group of two ports for load balancing

Can someone help me?
I am new in 3com switches so an example will be appreciated

Thanks all in advanced

If I understand your question, you want to config the switch ports into two groups. One group for each server NIC port.

If that is the case, you will want to create a VLAN and add the ports for that group to the VLAN.

Do you have the User Guide? VLANs should be covered in the manual. I would start there.

Also, alot of VLAN stuff has been covered in previous threads. It would be good to browse thru them or do a search on the forum and see what info would be beneficial to your application.

Happy reading!

....JIM....

You want to "bond" the two physical ports into one logical port, correct?

Your dual port NIC must support this feature, especially if you're in windows. Linux can bond virtually any NIC with the bonding module. Once you've bonded the ports you can define an aggregate link on the switch. Plug in the ports when you got it all configured.

Have fun!

You can also bridge the two ports together for load balancing.
Under network adapters create a network bridge then add nics to it. It will share the same IP address. I have used up to four nics at a time on one server. I know this works on Windows XP and Server 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back