Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port forwards not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputersUnlimitedVA

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2015
I have a client that I just installed a new custom built PC based DVR for.

I can get the remote viewing to work locally so everything including the software firewall are configured correctly.

However I am unable to get the remote viewing to work outside the store. I have checked and double, and triple checked the port forward configurations. There are not overlaps, mismatches and all go to the correct IP address, the DVR has the correct static IP address.

I have rebooted the router numerous times by adding reset.htm at the end of the address, I have also rebooted it at least twice by unplugging it.

I have had this trouble with this router before, but mysteriously it started working.

I was hoping that a firmware upgrade would resolve the issue, however their are no firmware versions available even past versions.

The model of router in question is a Linksys WRT54G version 5.

Any one have any suggestions?

Kevin Watkins
Computers Unlimited LLC
Owner / Network Engineer

Facebook:
Google+:

Any one have any suggestions?
Get a new router??? That's like a dinosaur in terms of a router. But....

Have you used CanYouSeeMe.org to check to see that individual ports are indeed open from an outside perspective on that computer?

You don't have some kind of double-NAT going on with router behind a router? Like the ISP's router/gateway and then the Linksys behind that.

Try setting the computer as the DMZ host. If that makes it work from outside, you KNOW it has something to do with the port forwarding issues.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks goombawaho
I would have replaced this router a long time ago but some clients don't want to replace something when it is working just fine. Wireless is not used that much at this location.

Looks like I am going to have to replace it now as it won't work with the IP address in the DMZ.

Kevin Watkins
Computers Unlimited LLC
Owner / Network Engineer

Facebook:
Google+:

I would have replaced this router a long time ago but some clients don't want to replace something when it is working just fine.
When someone tells you this, say the following:
"I haven't been to the doctor in years and I'm feeling just fine." Same principle.

Could plug the computer into the modem directly, bypassing the router. Then turn the firewall off on the PC and see if the port is open?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back