Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port forwarding in Cisco Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgerman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2009
US
Hi all. I have very little experience with Cisco routers and was hoping to get some help. I'm trying to setup TightVNC for a client to use to remotely access their work computer. I have installed the "server" TightVNC module one the work system and the "Viewer" module on the remote system. I've checked and double checked TightVNC setup parameters and have found it needs ports 5800 & 5900 open (by default).
Here's the stickler. They have a Netopia router. I found no model number on the unit. The SN is 32646660.
I can access the routers internal IP address and I get a web based app called Cisco ADM 5.2(3). Device type: ASA5505,
ASA version: 7.2(3).
In the device, I went to the "Security" tab and added ports 5800, 5900 as "allowed" from interface "all" to interface "all".
Then I went to port forwarding and specified for port 5800 TCP, incoming from WAN IP to forward to 192.168.1.50 which is the static IP address of the work system. Same setup with port 5900.
I made sure both port numbers are open in firewalls on both computers.
I can't get the remote machine to connect to the server.
When I run a port test on the WAN address of the router, it shows the ports are still closed.
Can anyone give me very explicit instructions for exactly how to setup the Cisco router to allow this?

Thank you in advance!
Marty

.... when I said went to "port forwarding", it is actually called "NAT" in this router.

You are dealing with two different devices here. The Netopia is going to have command line menu looking interface. The ASA5505 is a cisco firewall device that can be managed with the ASDM interface. You probably need to figure out more on how that network is wired together first.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back