Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port forwarding and domain controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeFour

Technical User
Nov 24, 2002
GB
Until recently I had a client machine linked to an adsl router. The router (Dlink 504T) was set to forward port 2048 to the client and everything worked.

Now the client is linked to a Win2003 SBS which is connected to the internet through the router.

How do I forward port 2048 from the router, through the server to the client machine?

The router is a gateway on IP 192.168.1.1.
The server has an IP of 192.168.1.7 for internet access
The server also has an IP of 192.168.16.2 for the internal network. The client is on 192.168.16.10

I have tried to forward the port to the server but Im not sure how to set win2003 to forward the port to the client.

Any help greatly appreciated.

This setup doesn't make sence:

The router is a gateway on IP 192.168.1.1.
The server has an IP of 192.168.1.7 for internet access
The server also has an IP of 192.168.16.2 for the internal network. The client is on 192.168.16.10

1)Remove one of the NICS from the server.
2) Connect the Router to a hub or switch
3) Connect the Server and workstation to the hub or switch
4) forward port 2048 to the client just as you did before.

Internet ---router -- hub/switch --> Computer and Server

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Due to our current setup it will not be that easy.

At present we have:

ADSL1--->Router--->Switch------|
|
ADSL2--->Router--->Switch--->Server--->Clients
|
ADSL3--->Router--->Switch------|

This system is inheritated so Im not 100% certain why it is like this, the server acts as a gateway for email.

All the networks are bridgeded for database access for all clients, the database clients use extensive emails in/out on Lotus Notes platform (switching to SQL, my job).

Would I be better connecting all ADSL routers to the first switch and how would this affect the Win2003/Exchange installation?

Although this is not my area of expertise, I have been bundled with it until new IT staff arrive.

Thx for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back