Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port flapping with Compaq NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

4work

MIS
Nov 6, 2002
US
Using Cisco 6513 switches it appears that the Compaq 3134 NIC's that are attached seem to flap by disconnecting and then re-connecting to the bridge group. I've put the connections onto different switches and still seeing the same problems. There are no physical errors on the ports and don't see any throughput issues. Any suggestions?

Insure that you are not using Auto-negotiation. We have always had problems with Compaq NIC's and Cisco switches when they auto-negotiate. I would hard-set both the NIC and the switch. Todd Hethmon
thethmon@hethmon.com

I have confirmed that the NIC's and switch ports are set to 100/Full on both sides. I've noticed that there are numerous posting on NIC's disconnecting due to power managment or Jitter tolerance but I can't seem to find any options on the NIC's for either. Any ideas?

Sorry, don't know anything about those options. Todd Hethmon
thethmon@hethmon.com

Is there running STP on their ports? Reconfirm it and set "port-fast" them.

you might also try a different setting, like 10/full or 10/half and see if that works. sometimes nic's dont like 100/full. Degg
Network Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back