Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

lengoo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GH
Hi all
I want to enable port fast on every port.. is there a quick way to do this? Else I'll have to configure each one via the web interface.

Regards
Lengoo

You need to tell us what kind of switch you are talking about don't have my psychic hat on tonight . :)

I usually use the web interface, it's faster, else you have to create a file like:

conf t
int faste0/1
spanning-tree portfast
exit
int faste0/2
etc
etc
etc
And cut and paste it on the switch, So it's easier to go via the web !!!!

Hi Guys
It's a Cisco 3500 Series XL!!

Hi

Try using the interface range command to specify multiple interfaces in global config mode:

interface range type module/first-number - last-number

So it goes

Switch>
en
Switch#conf t
Switch(config)# interface range fastethernet/1 - 24
Switch(config-if)#spanning-tree portfast

...or whatever. This applies to current IOS-based switches including the 3350, I would assume it applies to 3500 XL, but I don't have one to try it on.

EB

"The most powerful command you will ever use is rtfm"
EB

Many thanks, I'll give this a go :)

range command is not available on the 3500XL's

so best you can do is go into each port and do it manually, or copy the config out to word and do some manipulation that way.

BuckWeet

It really doesn't take that long to do each port , just make your change on the first port and then just use your up arrow key and change the last number on the port when it comes up for the next port and so on and so forth . If you do it right it should take more than 2 minutes to do the whole switch .

Thanks guys.. I've got it done now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back