Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Failed POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsi3g

IS-IT--Management
Dec 8, 2009
FR
Hello
I have created a stack with three 3Com 4500 switches.
I set them with auto-numbering and they are a properly numbered from 1 to 3. I can access the admnistration from Telnet ou the web console.
The 1000BASE SFP port Leds are blinking yellow while they should be green. According to the manual, it means "port failed post" but I do not see what is wrong and no error on the consoles. Could anybody help?

Thanks.

You won't necessarily see any errors generated, other than the failure! I had a similar issue with an SFP killing a switch before I realized the SFP was defective! Except in my case it would eventually past POST and turn green and show a link, "but the lights were on and nobody was home" and most ports would not communicate anything. So you might want to be very careful with the SFP, and find a way to test it in something other than your switch. 3Com support in this regard sucks! Now, with HP in the picture who knows what will happen?

BTW, the switches in my case are 3C16475BS-US, and a 3CBLSG24 which just started exhibiting problems. I just found out 3Com has discontinued that too!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back