Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Channels on Cisco swithces 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutek10

Technical User
Oct 12, 2004
Can anyone explain me what is a Port Channel (purpose) and how does it work when using VLAN's
Thanks

Ether channel is used to create more bandwidth and redundancy between switches. You can connect multiple links between switches and put them in a channel group. They then will all act as one link. STP will treat them as one link meaning they are all in a fwd state instead of only 1 in a fwd state without it. The switches will semi load balance over the links.

Cisconooblet...sorry but is that the explaintion for Port Channel?
I did not still get it, What is Port Channel?

as nooblet said
Ether channel is used to create more bandwidth and redundancy between switches
the port-channel itself is a logical interface that you create within the switch when establishing the etherchannel. the etherchannel can be layer 3 or layer 2 depending on your requirements. VLANs are carried across the port-channel (etherchannel) just as with any other link except spanning-tree looks at all of the links in the port-channel as one link.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Thanks to Cisconooblet and unclerico
I guess I needed more layman term answers, and got it.
That was helpful.

Star them then...

/su
YOU ALREADY ARE
/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Bam! Back atchya!

Now for the others...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back