Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port Channel resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
All - I've got Call Manager/Unity on version 10.5, with UCCX 10.6

Got a question on Port Channel resources. How does one know how many he has? I found this in the Cisco documentation:

A call control channel, which is provisioned through the Unified CM Telephony subsystem and [highlight #FCE94F]corresponds to CTI port resources in Unified CM.[/highlight]

A media channel, which is provisioned through either the CMT subsystem or the MRCP subsystem and corresponds to the kernel resources for handling the media voice path with the caller.

Neither of these really answers the question. In my mind, I'm thinking of a licensed or configured resource that can be reviewed or altered. Is this something I can look up? How would I determine the number of available call control and media channels?

Pretty sure you are talking about IVR ports and 400 is the max.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

Is there any way to view how many we have and how many are in use?

In UCCX, itll be under license information. For active usage, you can use Real Time Reporting in UCCX.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

OK - I found it. We have 298 IVR ports installed. We're still using PRI's, and I've got 226 with both buildings. I'm presuming this is a 1-1 ratio, so I think I'll be good. If I'm incorrect, let me know.

Obviously I do not know your setup but do you think you will have 200+ calls incoming at the same time?

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

Not incoming, but overall that is possible. The worst I've seen is 173 trunks used at one time. We do warm transfers here, and once the call is transferred it hangs on our trunk even after the agent hangs up. So we're still taking calls while the warm transfer runs its course. Kinda sucks. I've been trying to find some "telco code" to offload the warm transfer calls to our carrier, but they said it's not possible.

Regarding transfer: If your Carrier supports the Two B-Channel Transfer (TBCT) feature for PRIs, that might be a solution. It's intended to free up a channel on a transferred call. At the Cisco end it requires a script on the gateway.

The IVR ports dont stay used once an agent answers. Its basically the trunk between UCCX and CUCM. So in short PRI channels /= IVR ports.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

gnrslash4life & libellis - Thanks for your posts.

libellis - I'm interested in this TBCT solution you mention. I'll ask them of it. Could you paste a copy of the gateway script with a description on how it works?

See page 9-4 in the attached Cisco document for a good description of TBCT, and Page 9-2 for prerequisites. I don't have a script to give you because, for reasons not relevant here, we ended up not implementing it. The document has a considerable amount of material regarding TBCT. You can also do some searching - questions/answers about Cisco TBCT implementation show up in forums.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f11f6a39-facb-4059-983f-4c999550828e&file=IVR_TBCT.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back