Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port change on Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netomaniac

Technical User
Jun 8, 2006
US
hi guys,

I am not able to change the port number on my router. I am on my home wireless LAN, to do remote desktop I tried prot forwarding to my computer, but it doesn't allow me to change the default 1720 port to 3389 required for remote desktop.

thanks,,,,,

WEll if you can not change the default port, which I dont see why you cant, then change the default port that remote desktop listens to.

What type of wireless router is it? I have never seen a home wireless router that you could not change the forwarding ports.

i'm totally down w/ globalchicken on this one.
What default are u referencing anyhow; i just created an entry i think; can't u jsut create a new entry and put 3389?

[yinyang] Tranpkp [pc2]

before getting deep in to the conversation I have to protforward to the static IP on my computer with 3389 port, and this has to be done on my router..........just confirming.........correct me if i am wrong........

Tranpkp,

I login to my router....192.168.1.1, go to the protforwarding page...my comp has the IP as 192.168.1.10...assigned by the netgear router......every time I reboot the system I will get the same IP, I have saved this on the router.

Click on protforwarding, select netmeeting, add my IP 192.168.1.10 and change the starting and ending port to 3389 from 1720 and says back to me that it will have to be the default service port and cannot be changed...

Do i need to do any changes onmy computer, so that my windows firewall doesn't block the Remote desktop...

guy's I have been around with this for I a long time....show some mercy on my......it looks like I could never do remote desktop...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back