Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port already open

Status
Not open for further replies.

deborski

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
CA
I installed a new modem (3com 56k PCI). It installed alright and worked alright until I restarted the computer. When I try to communicate with the modem I get an error message Port already open. There are no conflicting devices. When I remove the modem and install again it works again, but just once.

Did you install a diskette or CD with modem drivers? If so, did it perhaps install some type of FAX or communications software that is getting activated on startup?

I see this problem on a daily basis. Run the modem diagnostic, and see if that says "port already open" as well. If it does, cold boot the system, then restart. When booted up, run the diagnostic again. If it says the same thing, check in the device manager to see if windows even recognizes the COM your modem is in. If it is, great, then do the drivers. If it still says the same thing again, put your modem in a different COM.

Julie s-) I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Thankyou Microsoft, for introducing us to PnP. Not.
Thanks to MS, hardware devices in a computer can now share resources...handy if you NEED to have your video card and NIC on the same IRQ, but it (PnP) still won't let you share a Com Port.
If you don't use com 2 for anything, disable it in BIOS setup, boot to safe mode, remove all com ports, and modems in device manager, then do a restart. This usually frees up enough resources to allow the modem a "normal" install, without sharing. USR in particular, like to install on Com 5 (go figure). Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back