Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Port already in use error

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlite79

Technical User
Aug 15, 2008
US
I am trying to use a MySQL database a former co-worker had created. I populate the database without problems. But when I try to run startserver in the background, I get the following error:

Port already in use

I have successfully used the port before, and have no browser open when I type ./startserver &

Short of clearing out my browser's cache and/or history, I don't know what else to do. I am just getting acquainted with MySQL.

I populate the database without problems.

This suggests that MySQL is already running and listening to that port. You can use mysqladmin or the graphical MySQL admin tool to check if that is the case. Otherwise, you may have other programs listening to that port, like an SSH port forwarding. However, MySQL already running is the most likely case.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back