Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POPUP window from CGI????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehiser

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2001
US
Hey all,

I recently put up an e-commerce site and wish to make some simple modifications the owner of the site can modify on her own with basic HTML. I have a product catagory set-up in CGI. When I click on a product catagory it lists all the products with a short description next to them in HTML. This is pulled by the CGI script to dynamically generate each product page with a standard HTML header and footer while inserting the HTML description next to the product information.

I attempted to create a JavaScript popup in this fashion within the allowable HTML description of the product.
Code:
<a HREF=&quot;javascript:popUp('URL to .html')&quot;><font face=&quot;tahoma&quot; color=&quot;darkblue&quot;>More details</font></a>

It has no effect and returns an error on the status bar on the bottom which reads object expected and references my .cgi script.

Note: Adding the
Code:
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=JAVASCRIPT></SCRIPT> will hide the text similar to <!-- --> does.

Is this possible or do I have to create a sub routine in CGI to process a HTML popup window? I want to use this window for a detailed product description, additional pictures, and accessories for the product.

Thanks a lot!

Scott

sehiser,
sorry we have not been more helpful. I don't quite understand the question as stated. I have, many times, produced web pages via CGI programs containing javascript functionality - and - pages containing javascript links that pop a new windows and then request content from the server in the new windows. Usually, the only tricks come with dealing with quotes. If what you think 'should' work won't work, then you may need to escape some quotes to keep the Perl and the javascript happy. If you still need help, try posting a little more code in a little more context so we can get a feel for your flow.

HTH

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

I'm not to sure what exactly to try. You are saying the ' ' is interfering with the CGI? It looks like the CGI is trying to work with the JS instead of the popUp doing it's job.

As far as the code, there isn't much to it.

Code:
<TD WIDTH=&quot;265&quot;>
<FONT FACE=&quot;ARIAL&quot; SIZE=&quot;2&quot;>
<b>Sadi</b>
<br>
Beautifully crafted of fine Venetian lace. This elegant garter is accented with a scarlet rose bud, nestled in a pair of bows. <language=javascript><a HREF=&quot;javascript:popUp('/info.html')&quot;><font face=&quot;tahoma&quot; color=&quot;darkblue&quot;>More details</font></a></script><!--#00sadi for hyperlink seach purpose -->
<br>
<font size=&quot;3&quot; color=&quot;#FF0000&quot;><b>$ 45.00</font></b>
<br>
</FONT>
</TD>
</FORM>
</TR>

If you want to see it in action go to and the product is Sadi.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back