Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Popup malware keeps coming back after scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okiewild

Technical User
Apr 8, 2009
Recently when I start my Windows XP computer, a pop-up window appears before I run any applications. It uses IE, although I use Firefox. The pop-up window is blank, but the title bar has shown a variety of addresses. Most recently it was mtn5.goole.ws, p.directaclick.com, p.tribalfusion.com, p.harrenmedianetwork.com, and
popup.yieldmanager.com. I researched the addresses and they have individually shown up in forums as some type of malware.
But no one mentions a single peice of malware that generates changing addresses in the popup.
I ran both Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor and Norton 360. They found and deleted more than a dozen infections on the HD and in the registry. I thought it was fixed but there is still something blocking the updates function in Malwarebytes, Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware.
Scanning and cleaning the drive zaps my DNS so I can't browse Web sites unless I first have their IP address. The only thing that gets through is a streaming online radio stored in Winamp as an IP address.
Usually, I have normal Web browsing function and email service so I know my connection is good. However this is only after I have done a reboot and the trojans a re-installed in the registry. Otherwise I get the DNS problem described above.
How do I find the source of the re-appearing infections and popups? My existing software is not digging deep enough.

IMO, i would back up my data, wipe the hard drive, and re-install the OS. I dont think there is a product on the market that can keep up with today's malware issues.

you did all of your scans in Safe Mode while not connected to the internet?

download, install, and run Spybot, AdAware, and HiJackThis

after cleaning everything above

download, install, and run CCleaner

all of the above should be run in Safe Mode while not connected to the internet

or do what the previous post advised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back