Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Populating a datacombo box from the form load event 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

iojbr

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
US
Hi:

I'm trying to populate datacombo box from ado recordset on a form load event, using code. But when I run it, the datacombo box is empty. I tried changing my cursor type to static, as one site suggested, but it doesn't correct the problem. I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance. Here's the code I used.

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim iConn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim iRec As New ADODB.Recordset
iConn.Open "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\db1.mdb"
iRec.Open "select PlayerName From Player", iConn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
Set Me.DataCombo1.RowSource = iRec
Me.DataCombo1.DataField = "PlayerName"
End Sub

I've never worked with the DataCombo control myself but trying to get your code to work I got to the following conclusion: DataCombo is a bound control and therefore needs to be bound to a Data control.

MSDN Library Visual Studio 6.0: "Without a Data control or an equivalent data source control like the RemoteData control, data-aware (bound) controls on a form can't automatically access data."

A conclusion is only the point where one gets tired from thinking;) so I might be wrong. Maybe you can fill the DataCombo without bounding it to a data control, but it seems to me that you need to bound it first.

Yep. I'm tired of thinking. I went ahead and used a combobox and a loop procedure instead. Thanks a lot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back