Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

populate template

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee0612

Technical User
May 2, 2005
GB
I would like to know if this is possible.

I have gathered info in excel and I would like to be able to open a word template that has autotext entries eg 01 & F3 will you get inputboxes for some info to be input and then 02 & f3 ... etc.

Under certain circumstances depending on the info in excel, it will open the word template and select the relevant autotext paragraphs, eg para 01, 02, 05, 07 and input the info gathered in excel into the inputboxes automatically.

Is this possible?

thanks

Could you describe what you want to do a bit better?

1. a template is used to generate a new document - a clone of the template.

2. you want an autotext to create an inputbox? Inputboxes come from code, not autotext. Can you have something in Excel make an inputbox and get user input? Yes, you can.
select the relevant autotext paragraphs, eg para 01, 02, 05, 07 and input the info gathered in excel into the inputboxes automatically.
3. these are two different things and there seems to be no connection between them. But first of all, what do you mean by "autotext paragraphs"?

Can you "gather" paragraphs? Yes.
Can you gather info in Excel? Yes.
Can you gather info in Excel and put them into inputboxes? Yes.

But what has the paragraphs in Word have to do with info gathered in Excel?

Gerry

thanks for the reply.

In work we have different word templates that when we open are blank that we use for issuing letters. For wxample, we have a template called customer recieipt which we open and if you type 01 and hit F3 will ask for the name and address of the customer. para 02 and f3 will then ask for the premium payable, the payment amount and the customer name all in inputboxes. Once the details are input, it will populate word with this information and provide other prepopulated information.

Under certain circumstances, becuase of the size of some templates, there may be up to 25/30 possible paragraphs needed. Therefore, I was trying to design a macro in excel that depending on the info input to excel will open the word template and automatically select the paragraphs needed.

Sorry, but I am still not getting it.

1. How are you getting inputboxes with an autotext and F3? F3 - normally - inserts the autotext entry. It does not ask anything.

2. I have never heard of an autotext / F3 getting multiple inputs....or any inputs.
Once the details are input, it will populate word with this information and provide other prepopulated information.
sounds more like a UserForm, to me.

You have not given any explanation, which I am trying to get, for what is needed.
Under certain circumstances, becuase of the size of some templates, there may be up to 25/30 possible paragraphs needed. Therefore, I was trying to design a macro in excel that depending on the info input to excel will open the word template and automatically select the paragraphs needed.

Again...needed where? In Excel? In Word? The "need" is not described at all.

Further, OK...you have "selected" the paragraphs (and BTW what does that have to to with, again, INSERTING the autotext???)....fine...but now what? You have paragraphs - apparently inserted by autotext and F3 - and they are....selected.

You selected them just for the fun of it? What are you doing with them? If they are bookmarked then you could just get the bookmarks...but I really am still fuzzy on what is actually happening.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back