Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

populate table from query results

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdavenport

Programmer
Sep 27, 2007
US
What is the fastest way to populate a table with the results of a query? I have a join query over 2 tables in database A and I need to insert all the rows found into a table in database B.

I cannot do it all in one query:
insert into table3 (select ... from table1, table2...);
because the tables are in different databases and postgresql does not allow inter-db queries (and the cfquery datasource can only point to one database at a time anyway).

I'd like to use Coldfusion Query of Query to help but don't see how. I cannot query from the query results and insert into a table all in the same cfquery (since a cfquery tag can have EITHER the datasource pointing to database table is in, OR dbtype=query to do QofQ):
insert into table3 (select * from myQuery);

As a result, I have to do the query, then loop through the query results, and each time through the loop, I insert a row of the results into the table. This is very slow! Is there a faster way with CF?

Thanks!

Code:
INSERT into myTable (myID, field1, field2)
SELECT otherID, otherField1, otherField2
FROM myOtherTable
WHERE something = something

ColdFusion Ninja for hire.

I do use this syntax when all tables involved are in the same database. However, in this case the tables I am querying from are in database A (postgresql 8.4) on server A and the table I need to insert into is in database B (postgresql 7.4) on server B.
Thanks.

oops. why not loop over the query and do your inserts?

Code:
<cfoutput query="qry1">
	<cfquery datasource="#dsn#">
    	insert into myTable (field1, field2, field3)
        values ( <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#field1#">,
        		 <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#field2#">,
                 <cfqueryparam cfsqltype="cf_sql_varchar" value="#field3#"> )
    </cfquery>
</cfoutput>

ColdFusion Ninja for hire.

Yes, that is what I am doing, but it is very slow. I was wondering if anyone had a better idea for a faster way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back