Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Popcorn databases begining to fly out of control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmun

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2002
US
Hello, all.

I'm fairly new to the programming field, and am now starting to impliment an intranet. It's more of a prototype we are developing to see if the Board wants to invest more into this project. I'm starting to see several areas where a small database (currently the only thing I know how to use is Access database) would be helpful. To name a few:
- A list of links (the list given to me is huge, and the user wants it to be able to be searchable)
- a database of employee biographies
- an archive of monthly newsletters

Some of these (ie. the archive of monthly newsletters) I wrote a web page by hand (not db driven) and some (the employee bio) I implemented a small database. All pages are written in ASP using Dreamweaver.

I've thought about looking into Studio .Net but I'm not sure how that would help me.

What I'm facing is maintenance in the future... (it would be a pain to have to make a list of links, and have to alphabetize them myself) but... I am thinking if I implemented little databases here and there, I will be repeating a lot of work and effort. Is there some advice I can get on how to organize things so I don't end up doing extra work? Earnie Eng
If you are born once, you will die twice.
If you are born twice, you will die once

I think that a database is the way to go. Since you are familiar with Access it would be a good place to start.

I am not familiar with ASP but I believe that you can access the data with ADO. Something to check on anyway.

Access does have it drawbacks, 2GB size limitation, slows after 5 concurent users, etc. However for your prototype it should do just fine. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Hello Zemp.

Yes... I would much like to make everything into databased format. As I get requests from different departments for various parts of the intranet, and if each of these parts would function great with a small database, would it be better to have seperate access databases for each of the parts, or make one whole database to house all the different little database?

Or is there a better way to store all the data?

Earnie Eng

I was trying to avoid that part of your post, one database vs multiple.

Basically with multiple Access databases you are going to extend your size limitation and reduce the number of concurrent users. If the data you store is only required by certain departments, people , etc, then this seems like a good idea. However, you will also greatly increase the maintanence involved. You will also isolate your data on each database from the other databases (not really, you can communiate over multiple databases, but it involves more code and more complicated code and more maintanence) so that relationships and searching cannot be done easily.

Realistically the best choice depends on your situation and your needs. There is no right or wrong way, just choices that have to be made. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

You can look over this thread669-449642. There is a gentleman who is using multiple Access databases and an upgrade issue he ran into. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

Hi Zemp

Thanks for bringing up that issue... size limitation vs.. relationships and searching. Now I have an idea of what to look for as I decide how to best remedy this situation...

know of any other parameters I should consider?

Earnie Eng

if you dont need concurrent access you could just write it in native code. store the objects in AVL tree, hashtable or whatever.
If youre gonna use a database try mySQL, and link to it using java. might sound hard, but REALLY, it isnt/ and you will learn SQL and java while youre there.

look for a tutorial on the net. theres loads.

good luck,
Dan

Dan,

I'm already familiar with using ASP and linking to databases. Is it possible to have ASP interface with MySQL and is it possible to install MySQL onto Windows 2000 web server?

I'll search around on the web for this but if you have an idea or can point me in the right direction, I'll appreciate that, too!

Earnie Eng

i assume you can link ASP to mySQL. the only reason you wouldnt be able to would be MS commercial reasons. you should be able to link to ANY ODBC source.

You can install mySQL on any Windows Box. Win 95 even!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back