Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POP3 server automatically changes to localhost

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoongq

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2004
MX
Hello, I have a user who uses pop3 without any problem but sudenly the incoming mail server changes automatically to "localhost" instead of the correct pop3 server address, I have to change it in a daily basis and don't know why this is happening, a virus, maybe?

Tks

Do you have something like Norton AntiVirus installed?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

I have office scan by Trend Micro but this is the only one PC with that issue all other pc's have the same antivirus.

Okay. Not sure how the Trend tool works, but I've seen this happen many times with the Norton AV installed on the local PC.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Many services do this - including Trend's antivirus software. Essentially, your machine is it's own mail server (localhost). Are you asking because you're experiencing a problem?

FYI, search this forum for PC-Cillin to see similar discussions.

Any fix to this yet? .. A user at my office also recently had this experience and we are also using TrendMicro security client/server agent....

What 'fix' are you looking for? Is it not working as it is? Simply turn off the e-mail checking component of your antivirus software if you don't want to see 'localhost' listed as the mail server (keep the real-time AV scanner enabled of course).

Hello Guys, I'm not sure what really worked but I've disabled the e-mail checking component and updated the SP3 for office and it is working now.

Tks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back